Ham & Cheese Mashed Potato Cakes
Makes 12 to 15 3-inch Cakes. Serve up a savory new recipe with leftover Easter favorites that guests are sure to love.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Mashed Potatoes, diced Spiral Sliced Sugar Cured Ham, shredded mozzarella, egg, minced jalapeno (optional), minced garlic, salt and black pepper and stir together to blend well.
- Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring well to blend into potato mixture. Continue adding flour up to 3/4 cup until the mixture is thick and holds its shape when scooped. Use flour sparingly to keep texture of moist mixture.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place one scoop of potato mixture into the bowl of bread crumbs. Gently sprinkle the potato scoop with bread crumbs and slightly flatten into a round patty, about 1/3 inch thick, flipping carefully to coat evenly on both sides. Set aside on a sheet pan and repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Heat approximately 6 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat just until the oil shimmers. Turn to medium.
- Fry the potato cakes in a single layer on each side for 3-4 minutes until crisp and a dark golden brown. Remove the potato cakes from the skillet and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the potato cakes are cooked. While the potato cakes are cooking, stir together the sour cream, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and fresh dill. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve hot Potato Cakes immediately.
Note: Adjust the size of your ham and cheese potato cakes by using a smaller or larger scoop. For example, use a small scoop for bite-size appetizer potato cakes.
Order Easter Heat n' Serve